CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Love Being Awake from 3AM to 5AM

It's a given, right?
We've heard the phrase
"Don't drink and drive"
since we could drive,
maybe even before that.
Some of us have had one of those nights...
You just want to get home and get into your own bed.
Or, you were so drunk that you had no one to
stop you from getting into your car and driving away.

I think that drinking and driving is a very selfish thing.
Not only are you putting your life at risk, but you are putting other
harmless people's lives at risk.
Sometimes we are so caught up in the moment,
we don't realize that our actions
could have a serious effect on someone
else's life.

But those are all things that we have heard at
one time or another,
so I won't go on about that anymore.

What I will go on to talk about is our
Saturday night...
well technically, our Sunday morning.

I was sitting in bed on the Internet, ready to turn in for bed.
It was 3AM at that point,
so sleeping for a few hours before work is
always a good idea.
I heard a car screeching around the corner...
that's not anything new.
There's always assholes driving
around the corner faster
than the 25 MPH speed limit.
This time, after he went around the corner,
I heard a "crunch", car alarm and then boom.

I looked out the window because the car alarm was one
of those obnoxious seven different sound alarms.
Across the street was Ajay's car going off.
Damn, he's the one who has the obnoxious car alarm.
About two seconds later, the alarm stopped,
so I assumed that he just turned off the alarm.

I heard the front door beeping, which means that
someone had opened it.
It had opened and closed two more times
and then I heard my dad talking.
At this point, I didn't know what had happened,
I thought that someone had hit his car because i
t was parked in front of the driveway.
I went downstairs and my dad had said that a
truck went through the apartment building
across the street from our house.

I went out front and sure enough,
there was an older Ford truck sitting
halfway in someone's kitchen.
The other thing that I had noticed when I went
outside was Ajay's driver's side tire. It was inverted in...
that's not how a wheel is supposed to be.
I went closer and sure enough, the guy had hit Ajay's truck.
Not just skidded the side, he full on hit Ajay's front tire,
hard enough to break the axel holding the two front wheels in line.

After two hours of standing out front in the freezing cold weather,
the police just had assumptions about what the driver had done.
No one in the apartment was hurt.
Thank goodness that it was the middle of the night,
the family was all asleep upstairs.
I would have hated to think of what could have
happened if they were awake and downstairs.

The driver was intoxicated and did not speak English.
He told the police that he was doing a u-turn
because he was trying to run from someone who was trying to rob him.
But witnesses said that he tried to reverse after he had hit the apartment
and then tried to get out and run.
A man was able to pin him down so he couldn't run.

Now we have to wait for the police report to get his information.
It's nice that Ajay got this truck about a month and a half ago,
and he just finished paying it off last week.
It was our car that all of us could fit into because the Firebird only fits four people.
Now we are back to square one. Lame.

Photobucket
Driver's side that was hit

Photobucket
Tires are inverted

Photobucket
Something that shouldn't be hanging down

0 comments: